Cholón : Rosario Islands is part of the Rosario Islands archipelago, off the coast of Cartagena (Colombia). It is known as one of the most festive places in the region, especially popular for boat parties and social gatherings. Cholón beach is not a traditional sandy beach where you can lie down, but rather a bay where boats drop anchor to spend the day. Visitors often gather in their boats or on floats in the water, listening to music, socializing, and enjoying drinks and food served by local vendors who sail between the boats.
Keep in mind that Cholón has earned a reputation as a party place, so if you are looking for a quiet and peaceful place to enjoy nature, this may not be the best option. However, if you enjoy a lively social scene, this could be a great option.
How do I get to Cholón Rosario Islands from Cartagena?
To get to Cholón from Cartagena, you can choose one of the following options:
- Private Boat or Yacht: You can charter a private boat or yacht for the whole day. It is the most expensive option, but also the most flexible and comfortable. You can usually customize your itinerary and spend as much time as you like in Cholón.
- Boat excursion: Several companies in Cartagena offer boat excursions that include a stop in Cholón. These excursions usually last all day and sometimes include lunch, drinks, and snorkeling equipment.
- Boat: Boats are small motor boats that can be rented for shorter trips. They are less expensive than yachts or private boats, but also less comfortable.
Cholón is a popular destination, so during high season it is advisable to book transportation in advance. Departures are usually from the port of Cartagena and the journey takes about an hour, depending on sea conditions.
Also read: Diving Rosario Islands
What kind of activities can be done in Cholón?
Cholón is a popular meeting point for visitors looking to enjoy the sun, the sea and the festive atmosphere. These are some of the activities you can do in Cholón:
- Boat Parties: Cholón is famous for its boat parties. Visiting groups often charter boats for the day, bring music and drinks, and spend time socializing and having fun.
- Swim and relax: The waters of Cholón are usually calm and transparent, which makes them an ideal place for swimming. You can also relax and sunbathe.
- Snorkeling – Although Cholón is not particularly known for snorkeling, you can still explore the surrounding waters and see a wide variety of fish and other sea creatures.
- Local Gastronomy: Local vendors often cruise the bay, selling fresh seafood and other Colombian dishes and drinks.
- Water sports: depending on availability, you can participate in activities such as jet skiing, paddle boarding or kayaking.
It is important to note that Cholón can be quite lively, especially during the high tourist season. If you prefer a quieter environment, you can consider other destinations in the Rosario Islands archipelago.
When is the best time to visit Cholon Rosario Islands?
The best time to visit Cholón depends mainly on what you are looking for in your visit.
If you want to enjoy the good weather, the best time to visit Cholón would be during the dry season, which runs from December to March, when the rains are less frequent. Another popular period is from July to August, which is a shorter period of dry weather.
If you like parties and a social atmosphere, the high tourist season (usually from December to April) may be the ideal time for you. During this period, Cholón is especially lively, with many boats and parties.
However, if you prefer a quieter environment, you can visit the bay in the low season, when it is usually less crowded.
Also read: baru rosario islands
How is the security situation in Cholón for tourists?
In general, Cholón is considered a safe place for tourists. However, as with any popular tourist destination, it is important to take certain precautions to ensure your safety.
- Keep an eye on your personal belongings: Always keep an eye on your personal belongings, especially if you are going swimming. As Cholón is often crowded, opportunistic robberies can occur.
- Boat Safety: Make sure your boat is equipped with life jackets and other safety equipment. Also, don’t swim too far from your boat and keep an eye out for other boats in the area.
- Alcohol consumption: As Cholón is famous for its boat parties, alcohol is often consumed. It’s important to drink responsibly and keep in mind that alcohol and swimming can be a dangerous combination.
- Hydration and sun protection: The sun in Cholón can be very strong, especially at peak hours. Be sure to drink enough water and wear sunscreen to prevent dehydration and sunburn.
- Local assistance: If you have any problems, do not hesitate to ask for help from the local authorities or your tour guide.
Finally, as always when traveling, it is advisable to take out travel insurance that covers medical emergencies and other unforeseen events.